This week, Apple previewed macOS Sonoma, the newest model of its Mac working system. The software program replace, which launches later this 12 months, will embrace a number of new options, however not all of them can be found on Intel-powered Macs, in response to Apple.
On the macOS Sonoma Options Pagethe tremendous print signifies that the next options require a Mac with an Apple silicon:
- Presenter Overlay, a function that shows the person on high of the content material they share in any video conferencing software.
- Recreation Mode, which prioritizes CPU and GPU efficiency whereas gaming by limiting the efficiency of background duties.
- New excessive efficiency mode in Display Sharing app.
- The power to pair Made for iPhone listening to aids instantly along with your Mac.
- The power to summon Siri by saying “Siri” as a substitute of “Hey Siri”.
Apple doesn’t say why the options aren’t accessible on Intel Macs, however it more than likely has to do with efficiency issues, and solely Apple silicon Macs have a neural engine for machine studying duties. The final Intel Macs have been launched in 2020, and Apple has since moved on to its personal custom-built processors. The transition to Apple silicon is now full after the launch of a brand new Mac Professional with the M2 Extremely chip this week.
macOS Sonoma is prone to be launched to the general public in October and is suitable with Macs launched in December 2017 and later.